Wednesday 5 June 2019

Up, up and away




It’s fine and dandy for me to go scribbling away about love peace and how Anglicans should link hands and sing from the same hymn sheet - #bettertogether. But let’s get real. What happens when we consider a particular concrete issue. How well do we all, Evangelicals, Catholics and Liberals hang  together then? How far does someone have to go before a judgment is made that they’re outside the Anglican (the Christian) tent?  I know, I know, this is a heavy way to begin a post on a walking blog. Cut to the chase, if you've got a headache already.
 
Before I set off for Brigstock, Sue reminds me it’s Ascension Day. What do you reckon to Jesus’ Ascension? Or do you avoid thinking about it at all, which is what I suspect many clergy do, because I’ve heard very few sermons preached on the subject, though trainee layreader Sarah did a fine job on Sunday at our St. Peter’s. Perhaps, quite understandably, preachers  feel reluctant to share their own anxieties and doubts with their congregations. To be blunt, if Jesus died and rose again, his permanent presence on Earth in physical risen form would have made for an entirely different cosmology of faith, so his ascension is a Biblical and practical necessity, and is absolutely tied to the resurrection. On the other hand, (reverse-engineering our theology) …if there was no physical resurrection…what then? But, seriously, can we really swallow what most people think the gospel writer Luke is telling us at the outset of the Book of Acts, Jesus going heavenwards like a Saturn rocket?
 
Historiographically, some of what we read in the Gospels generally stands up very well against, for example, the writing of the near-contemporary historian Tacitus, whose support of presumed real events by miraculous occurrences is continual. But that isn’t history quite by the supposedly objective standards of the 20th and 21st century, even if we’re very used to interrogating the possible bias of today’s writers. The word ‘myth’, sometimes applied by theologians to New Testament writing, is perhaps more confusing than comforting and helpful. Reading Mark’s Gospel again recently, I’m struck by the insistent drum beat of its argument about who Jesus is. Events are only important for Mark in the context of his evangelism. But this we know. It’s a Gospel, stupid. The modern politician’s summary packaging of Christianity as a moral creed to which we all subscribe, churchgoers and non-churchgoers, is nowhere to be found. The Gospels (and the Book of Acts) always provoke, always challenge, are never comfortable.

 

The red kites watch and wheel in the skies over Brigstock. Spring colours and scents overflow from cottage gardens. I sneeze. By Wallis and Linnell’s imposing but empty, four-storey factory near New Town, I make a wrong turn into a gentleman’s front garden and am kindly but firmly re-directed. Wallis and Linnell were clothing maunfacturers, whose business made a mid-Victorian transition into bricks and mortar. It was at that nineteenth century time when entrepreneurs realised they could squeeze more from their employees if they stopped them doing piece-work in their cottages, and put them into factories. A first building was erected in Kettering, but W. & L. needed more workers, so second and third plants were added in Cottingham and Brigstock. This wasn’t capitalism without kindness. It seems Wallis in particular took great interest in his employees’ welfare and spiritual needs. One small testimony to this is said to be the windows arrayed along all four storeys in the Brigstock factory, letting light into the workers’ lives. Or was this simply to optimise the quality of the garments? The business finally shut its doors for good in 1979, unable, I suppose, to compete with the Far East, but Wallis and Linnell’s factory remains Brigstock’s most striking building, perhaps even including its distinguished church.

 


On the diagonal across a horsey field I come to a gate and enter the southernmost part of an extensive tract of woodland. It’s known as Old Dry Bushes. This is somewhat ironic because yesterday it rained (we need it!) and the bushes are anything but dry. Pushing through them on an initially wandery path I’m quickly soaked. I’ve imprudently donned Merrills for the day’s yomp, and as comedian Katie Brand found on Channel 4’s recent Pilgrimage, wet feet blister more easily than dry ones. By the end of today my right sole will be sore. I thought this CTVC (Christian Television Centre) offering a rather good second series. The first one aired last year and purported to take a handful of slightly ill-matched celebs to Santiago di Compostela along the camino. Well, a little bit of it. The narrative ended up rather whingey and unsatisfactory. The follow-up persuaded a more cohesive set of people, including actor Lesley Joseph, comedians Stephen K. Amos and Les Dennis and long-jump hero Greg Rutherford, to walk part of the pilgrim route across the Alps and down to Rome. No one’s converted, but spiritualities are explored and in some cases revived, and some memories are healed. The best thing is that through a reality TV format it did get to some of the reasons you might want to try a pilgrimage, and examine some of the emotions you might encounter while doing so. Astonishingly two of the protagonists found walking through woodland an utterly novel experience. So what had they (and their parents!) been doing all their lives? Duh!
 
The path opens onto a broad, straight north-bound track, and I stride along enjoying the full-on happy surround sound birdie chorus, which today includes that definitive note of summer, a cuckoo, suddenly but elusively very close to my left. As I exit the wood, there’s a thrum of jolly human conversation too, and I find twenty eight Kettering Ramblers taking a breather. I say hello, and of course the person who engages me in conversation is Canon Roger Knight who when he hears I’m from Weston Favell, asks me if I know Richard Pestell, layreader of this parish and one time Diocesan Secretary - which I do. Small world. Later, when I look him up on the Web, I learn that two years ago at this time of the year and on the first anniversary of his wife Ann’s passing, Canon Roger was prayer-walking in aid of MND charities.
 
I push on up a dusty track which brings me to the main road down to Weldon. I’m hoping for a path beside the tarmac, but am disappointed, and spend twenty minutes hopping up and down onto the verge avoiding cars and parcel vans. Thankfully the HGVs seem to have been re-routed. In the distance I can see the industrial plants which I suppose to be the inheritors of Corby’s defunct steel industry. New housing is pushing out from Corby here too, as in Great Oakley, as commuters eye up the trade-off between cheaper Northamptonshire accommodation and lengthier travel distances and times into London.

 


St Mary the Virgin, Weldon is along a suddenly pastoral lane away from the main road. I sit in its churchyard, and from nowhere, a gust of wind blows grit from a nearby mole-hill over my glasses and into my right eye. For the rest of the afternoon it’s very sore, exacerbated by the high pollen count. I find such trivial physical distractions make my pathetic attempts at concentrated prayer well-nigh impossible. It nags at me, this inability to transcend even the merest hint of suffering. What would I do, were I to find myself on, for example, the wrong end of MND? I suppose I’d have to cling on to a different understanding of the body of Christ, other members upholding me in infirmity, and just do my best.
 
Place names sometimes bring people’s names to mind, and I think of actor Jonny Weldon, who a decade ago was a young adolescent member of some of the numerous teams of talented child singers/performers sent by the Sylvia Young Theatre School to appear in our English Language Teaching audio programmes. Some of them go on to become e.g. accountants, hair-dressers, teachers (or even vicars for all I know), but a few take the risk, stay the distance and progress into adult show biz, as Jonny has done. It’s not the most straightforward or easy of careers, but on the Web there’s a nice snap of Jonny, looking fit and well and about to run the London Marathon. He was suddenly there on the stage of the Royal, a few Christmases ago, a main protagonist of one of those small-cast, happy, all-action children’s shows. Very good he was too.
 
Wikipedia is unusually discreet about all things Weldon i.e. there’s apparently not a lot to be said. However, the activities of the cricket club figure large, and much is made of a ‘famous’ William Hay as one of their number. Just in case, I check him out, but can now confirm this is not the Will Hay of ‘Oh, Mr. Porter’ fame, who’s described elsewhere on the Web as… ‘An English comedian, actor, author, film director and amateur astronomer…’. Nor is this the William Hay who turned out two or three times for the M.C.C. in the Victorian era. I can only assume he’s the current team’s star batsman – and possibly author of the Wikipedia entry. Or married to her.
 
I have to retrace my steps along the main road verges (grr!) and up the dusty track called Bears Lane to where I left the Kettering Ramblers, although they moved off towards a pub lunch an hour and a half ago. Walking the field edge track towards Cockendale Wood, I get thoroughly dazed and confused, and near Bocase Farm actually emulate Pooh and Piglet by walking in a complete circle only to find myself accidentally back where I started. Idiot!  I try the opposite side of a hedge the second time round and am eventually rewarded with a confirming bridleway sign, and distant glimpses of Lower Benefield’s high spire though it takes a long drag along the metalled surface of Causin Way to reach it.
 
St. Mary’s Benefield is described as a ‘Tractarian Church’, and some frills and furbilows of Ninian Comper are to be found inside and out, notably on the crucifixed war memorial. Benefield appears such a rural backwater, that on a sunny summer’s day it’s hard to square the ecclesiological hard-ball of ‘Branch Theory’ (trying to retrospectively justify Anglicanism as a legitimised third way of the True Church) with the surroundings. But maybe this is a twenty-first century city-centric perspective of mine. I still wonder, as I think I’ve done before, if revival could begin, not in our troubled, struggling inner city churches, but in rural locations like Benefield. Isn’t the real passion for Brexit, the unquiet heart of the Tory Party, most active in the countryside?
 
The most famous son of Benefield’s soil is Miles Berkeley, one of the founders of the science of plant pathology. He was an important academic but also a clergyman: vicar at nearby Apethorpe and then at Sibbertoft.  I’m intrigued to read that he was a cryptogamist, thinking for a moment this meant he was unusually secretive about his wives, and that I’d stumbled across a hitherto unsuspected tabloid quirk of Victorian clergy. Alas no, (or perhaps jolly good, no!) – it just means he was an expert on lichens.
 
It’s a long walk back to Fermyn Woods across the fields and along the lane known as Harley Way. There’s an airstrip just there, from which gliders are powered up into the sky, not by being towed behind a plane, but launched from a fixed cable.  I watch as one is reeled in along and then above the runway, climbing at a steep angle until it catches the thermals, at which point the glider detaches, and a parachute is deployed to drop the cable safely to the ground. I watch fascinated, as the chute gently descends, and then turn to see where the glider is. But the cloud’s lowering now, and it has simply vanished from my sight. In my end is my beginning.  ‘Brothers, this Lord Jesus/Shall return again/With his Father’s glory/With his angel train…’

 


McVey’s McNuggets*: 24 km. 6.8 hours. 22 degrees. Sun and cloud, and a burning breeze, as it turned out. 5 stiles. 4 gates.  2 bridges.  Quite a lot of road walking. The birdsong really was wonderful today.

 
·          It’s Tory Party election time - when their less-than-200,000 members determine who will be Prime Minister for the other 66 million of us. Esther McVey, Saints preserve us, seems to be the favourite female pick of the Daily Telegraph. Other candidates are available. And will be given their shout-out in these pages.

 
Father
When do I take
Reason and Logic
Out of their boxes
For proper employ in your service?
And when should I put them away
Close the lid
Mind my own business
And simply trust
That you have the answers?

 
Father
Expand my faith
And so increase my ability
To do that for which
You have made me.
Amen.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment