Monday 21 September 2020

What was I saying?

 

I’m walking from my home church of St. Peter’s, Weston Favell to the cathedral at Peterborough by a series of circular walks. Each walk must touch the circumference of a previous walk at some point. Eventually I’ll have visited every Anglican church in the diocese, active or decommissioned, plus a handful in neighbouring dioceses. I pray for each parish as I pass through it, and send each incumbent a card to say I’ve been. I blog about where I’ve been and what I’ve experienced.

 The project began in April 2016, before Britain committed itself to Brexit, before the rise of Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. My theme was and remains that the Church of England is ‘Better Together’ despite our differences in liturgy and churchpersonship. We’re a national church who should be a Christian beacon to a country losing its way, and our common purpose should cause us to cherish what unites us, rather than individualising ourselves by dwelling on our personal likes and dislikes. One Church, one Faith, one Lord.

 And latterly, in the shadow of Covid, I’ve added the thought that we’re ‘Better in Colour’. Life in Christ is truly vivid, shot through with excitement, danger and confrontations. When we’re grey as a Church, or when we see things in terms of noughts and ones, or black and white, we’re probably missing the point.


No comments:

Post a Comment